Documents required to sell your car

This guide features a breakdown of all documents that are required to legally sell a used car in Australia
When selling a used car, it is critical to ensure that the necessary paperwork is processed in order to avoid paying fines and facing trouble with local authorities. This guide breaks down the documents required to sell your used car in Australia.
__Registration and proof of ownership
Your vehicle registration certificate is the legal proof that you fully own the vehicle that you're trying to sell, and this is required.
Victorian registration authority VicRoads recommends that you photocopy the latest registration certificate, as well as provide proof to the buyer that you are the owner of the vehicle through a form of photo ID that matches the name on the registration certificate.
__Transfer of ownership form
Most vehicle ownership transfers in Australia today are handled online, but a hard copy of the notice form can be useful to have. These forms can be downloaded from the state registration authority's website.
As the seller of the vehicle, it's necessary that you ensure the state registration authority is notified and aware that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.
To complete the notification of disposal, you'll need the new owner's contact information and home address, not a post office box number. So make sure you double-check the buyer's details by reviewing their valid driving license.
You can then send the registration authority this correct information the same day you hand over the automobile to the new owner.
If you don’t do this, you could find yourself suffering the consequences and paying fines for someone else's illegal driving actions for up to 14 days after the vehicle is sold.
__Issue a sales receipt
If your used car is sold for more than $75, you are legally required to produce a receipt that proves the buyer has handed over the agreed upon figure of money to purchase the vehicle from you.
Standard cash receipt books can typically be found in any stationery store, and it qualifies as a valid receipt. Whilst Victorians can download and print out a receipt template from VicRoads.
The receipt should always consist of the following information:
Buyer’s name Your name Transaction date Selling price Vehicle’s details.
The vehicle’s details should include the make, model, colour, registration (if registered) and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
It is recommended to photocopy and preserve the sales receipt to maintain the necessary records of the vehicle sale.
__Roadworthy certificate
Please review our Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) guide which will let you know what the requirements are for each state.
__Owner's manual, service book, and other items
A vehicle's service record and the owner’s manual are quite important when selling a used car, so much so, that they can be snatched up by thieves if the car is broken into.
If your owner’s manual and service book go missing, they should be replaced with new ones, typically purchased through the spare parts department of your local dealer.
The dealership is also capable of reproducing the servicing details too, if the vehicle has been serviced at that site or through that franchise.
__Recall documentation
Has there been a vehicle recall? Any paperwork that demonstrates the dealer has replaced any affected parts is necessary to sell your car.
Naturally, it’s key to make sure all the safety issues regarding vehicle recalls are resolved by the dealer before you list the car for sale.
__PPSR report
A PPSR report is required to show the buyer that the car isn't a write-off, is unencumbered by financed, and the odometer matches the car's documented history.
Reports can be purchased for $2 online.
In summary, to sell your used car in Australia you may require most or all of the following documents:
Current registration certificate (photocopy) Roadworthy certificate (check here) Transfer of ownership form (digital or physical) Receipt of payment Owner's manual Service history books PPSR report